May your Christmas be merry and your dinner delicious! Want a couple recipes to help make Christmas dinner delectable and memorable? Here is a list of six dish ideas, everything from entrees to sides:
1. Spice-Rubbed Tenderloin with Mustard-Cream Sauce: Considering that beef tenderloin is so lean, it can become dry and overcooked rather easily. Rub the tenderloin with a mixture of salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, ground red pepper and olive oil. Cook to an internal temperature of 130 degrees and voila!
2. Beef Short Ribs: A delicious way to impress guests, beef short ribs requires little effort. Using four pounds of ribs, cover with salt, pepper, olive oil and even use some red wine and sherry for added flavor. Serve with rosemary, thyme, parsley, carrots and yellow onion.
3. Creamy Parmesan Grits: Nothing says Southern cooking and living like a delicious bowl of grits. Use Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for an added nutty flavor plus a earthy depth. Some people like to add some sugar to their grits; however, for this dish, add salt, butter and heavy cream for a savory and satisfying side dish.
4. Gnocchi Mac-and-Cheese: Another great side dish is mac-and-cheese, but this dish adds an Italian twist! Gnocchi is an Italian dumpling dish that warms the belly and puts smiles on faces. Put a new twist on a kid-friendly side dish with gnocchi dumplings, salt, butter, shallots, thyme, milk and lots of cheddar and white cheese. Yum!
5. Green Bean-and-Red Bell Pepper Toss: You got to have some greenery at the table, other than the wreaths. Combine French green beans and red bell pepper strips with shallots and garlic for a side dish that will impress guests’ taste buds. Spice the beans with butter, salt and pepper. Season to taste.
6. Roasted Asparagus: This is a simple one, but it can change the dynamic of any dinner. Roast asparagus with the broiler after dressing them in oil, salt and pepper. For added flavor and taste, use the drippings from the main entrée.
No matter what the entrée, side dish or dessert, make Christmas dinner special by cooking your favorites for close friends and family. Enjoy these dishes and so much more on the Southern Living website.
Harris Doyle Homes offers Birmingham new homes in numerous areas surrounding Birmingham. For more information on how to buy a home for the holidays, visit HarrisDoyle.com or visit the Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/HarrisDoyleHomes.