As your children look forward to dressing up and receiving candy this Halloween, your goal is to make sure that they enjoy a night of SAFE Halloween fun. Halloween can be a night of fun and excitement, but as your kids walk from door to door in your Birmingham new home community, it is important that you look after their safety and well-being. Here are some tips for having a Spooktacular, but safe Halloween:
- Make your child more visible. Have each child carry or wear something that lights up such as a flashlight, glow bracelet/necklace, or light-up shoes, so that it is easier to see them as the sun sets.
- Plan out a route in advance. Before you take off for the evening, have a plan of which houses you are going to stop at, in what order. That way you have a plan and are not have to spend time deciding which house to go to next.
- Only cross streets at the corners. Kids may see a house across the street that is neatly decorated and want to race over to that house, but make sure that they cross the street at corners and aren’t darting out in front of traffic.
- Pin contact information on your children’s costumes. If you are taking around a large group of children, pin a piece of paper with contact information on it to their costume, so that if they get separated someone knows how to contact you.
- Inspect candy before children eat it. Even though you probably know your neighbors, it’s still good practice to inspect your children’s treats before they eat them. Tell them they have to wait until they are home to eat any of their candy, so that you can inspect it first.
Many of our new home communities in Birmingham feature sidewalks that provide safe routes for traveling between houses on Halloween. For more Halloween safety tips, you can check out the current issue of Birmingham Parent magazine.
Harris Doyle Homes offers new homes in Birmingham at six communities throughout the metro area including Longmeadow, Trussville Springs, Alden Glen, The Cotswolds, The Preserve and Wisteria. These communities are designed for family life and are located in ideal locations close to area shopping, dining, entertainment and recreation.
For more information on all of our stunning communities, visit the Harris Doyle website today!