December heralds in a special time of year as families gather together to celebrate the holiday season. As always, there are numerous local events near our Montgomery and Birmingham homes that celebrate the spirit of the holidays.
Here is a look at some of the most popular, festive events:
- McWane Science Center: Winter Wonderland comes to McWane Science Center now through January 5, 2014. Take a ride down the 40-foot ice slide covered in holiday lights or 70-foot extended zip line, climb aboard the train for a holiday-themed ride and cast off for ice fishing. Visitors can also enjoy breakfast in Santa’s workshop on December 14 and 21; make holiday crafts, enjoy a delicious meal, visit with Santa and explore the Winter Wonderland.
- Hoover: The city’s annual tree lighting will take place on Monday, December 2 at 5 p.m. at City Hall. Enjoy a performance from the city school choir, participate in a holiday sing-a-long, romp in the snow play area, enjoy light refreshments and take a photo with Santa after his grand entrance in a fire truck.
- Governor’s Mansion: The 1907 Governor’s Mansion located at 1142 S. Perry Street in Montgomery will be aglow with lights and filled with the spirit of the season for tours from 5 to 7 p.m. on December 2, 9 and 16.
- Birmingham: Make your way to Linn Park on December 3 at 5 p.m. for the city’s annual tree lighting. This festive evening will include the 4th Avenue North Christmas Parade, music entertainment, caroling, arts and crafts and a visit from Mr. and Mrs. Claus.
- Levite Jewish Community Center: Join in the fun at the Festival of Lights Southern Fried Chanukah Celebration. Jewish agencies from around Birmingham will compete for the “Latke Champion” title, individuals can compete in the world series of dreidel and families can reflect on the holiday while enjoying a southern fried dinner with a twist on December 3 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Alabaster: The city will continue its annual tradition with a parade down U.S. 31 on Saturday, December 7 at 10 a.m. This year’s theme will be “Wishin’ for a White Christmas,” and parade watchers will be sure to enjoy spotting Old Saint Nick himself!
- Trussville: The city’s annual Christmas Parade will take place Saturday, December 14 at 3 p.m. Starting on Parkway Drive at North Mall, the parade will proceed to Highway 11, Chalkville Road and end just past West Mall. Afterwards, stick around for the tree lighting ceremony.
- Moody: It’s a Rock and Roll Christmas in Moody as the city’s annual parade takes place on Saturday, December 14 at 5 p.m. The parade will leave from the ADESA large car auction and end at the park across from City Hall.
No matter what you’re celebrating, there’s no denying that December is a magical time of year. We wish all of our new home residents in Alabaster, Birmingham, Hoover, Moody, Trussville and Pike Road a happy holidays!
If you’re not yet a homeowner in one of our local communities, be sure to stop by our community sales centers to see how our new homes can exceed your wish list!